Thursday, January 22, 2009

Project proposal

I am currently working on a comic, based on an Iranian children's story, The Little Black Fish by Samad Behrangi. Behrangi wrote this story to inspire children to question Iran's education system and authority. Many of these children became key figures (and leaders) of a communist guerilla group which later contributed to the fall of the shah of Iran.

The point of Behrangi's story was not just to inspire actions like these, but to insure dissent amoung future generations. He was so dedicated to this mission that he traveled from town to town with frostbitten toes to teach in village schools. Due to the radical nature of his teachings and political actions he was considered a threat to the shah.


My proposal:
I was hoping that there would be interest in a compilation of subversive children's stories narrated by a character that is a storyteller. Each comic would be divided with short comics of the narrator running from authorities and introducing each comic. The narrator has acquired tattoos on his skin as a way to remember the stories he has told. The tattoos also serve as a means to evade authorities by disguising the subversive paraphernalia.

Diversity of comic style can be justified because the storyteller is constantly traveling, therefore, different tattoo artists would be illustrating the tattoos.

If this idea is of interest perhaps we can set aside some time to discuss the best way to implement such a project. Right now I am not very set on anything, but a format proportionate to the size of what I have already illustrated.

Example of the style I am using for "my story."
The style is based on Bizhan Jazani's (one of the guerrillas) paintings.


Pencils from comic.

3 comments:

Spencer Hansen said...

So are you going to illustrate the narrator's plot lines and look for guest artists to do the different stories?
Will you be doing the writing, looking for guest writers, or looking to collaborate on that as well? I am really interested in this project, I think it could turn out beautifully, so I have a lot of questions.

bizhan said...

I haven't really fleshed out the idea too much.

I am a little intimidated to write or illustrate the narrator's plot myself. However, I kind of imagine the narrator's plot to be an introduction to the compilation and then to appear more like title pages for the proceeding stories.

As for the stories...I envisioned them being up to the artists or writers to find each other or for artists to use stories that are public domain. I haven't really thought about the logistics in choosing whom might be included. Perhaps using some sort of selection process or making it invite only.

I am really open to suggestions about what people might think would be the most logical approach.

Frans Boukas said...

Looks like old Keith Giffen.